Sleep disorders may not be easy to deal with. In fact, if not diagnosed and treated earlier, they can take a toll on your overall health. In most cases, when sleep orders strike, one is quick to get drug prescriptions and any other sleep aids. However, natural sleep remedies are excellent in dealing with sleep-related disorders.
Melatonin is a hormone in the human body that controls or regulates sleeping cycle. Its role is to cause drowsiness, reduce the overall body temperature and put your body in its sleeping mode. Research has shown that levels of melatonin differ widely among people. For instance, people with insomnia have low levels of melatonin than the normal.
How much sleep do you need?
A good night sleep helps increase your performance both at home and in school. Besides enough sleep helps increase body relaxation hence reducing the amount of stress thus improving the quality of life. Here is how much sleep is recommended depending on each age groups:
- Newborns:15-17 hours
- Infants 12-15 hours
- Toddlers 11-14 hours
- Preschoolers 10-13 hours
- School-aged children 9-10 hours
- Teenagers 8-10 hours its 7-9 hours
- Older adults 7-8 hours
Can sleeping pills help you fix problems with sleeping?
Sleeping pills are just a shortcut to getting better sleep. Even though, why should you use them if there are natural remedies to help you sleep better for longer. Understanding that sleeping pills are not the best idea, will give you more reasons to try the home remedies available.
Sleeping pills are categorized under sedatives or hypnotics, meaning that they lower the overall body activity mechanism to put one into the sleeping mode.
One thing you have to realize is that these drugs are quite addictive. One may not be able to fall asleep naturally after long-term use.
Here are other reasons as to why sleeping pills are not recommended as a solution to your sleeping disorders:
- Because they lower the automatic mechanisms such as breathing, they may eventually cause breathing problems such as asthma or lung-related problems such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- They lead to loss of appetite because they slow the overall metabolism of the body
- They lead to a gas build up causing bloating because they lead to slow movement of food down the digestive tract.
- They may lead to drowsiness when taken in high doses or intermixed
- May also lead to a headache and heartburn.
This article has listed several natural sleep remedies that help improve levels of melatonin hormone to help you get a better night sleep. Here are the top natural remedies to help you get rid of sleeping disorders for good.
1. Epson salt bath
Epson salt bath one or two hours before going to bed will improve your sleep disorders symptoms and result in good night sleep. The Epsom salt helps soothe sore and tired muscles hence providing you with the relaxation you need to have a better sleep. Here is how to prepare your Epsom salt bath:
- Add a cup of Epsom salt to warm water
- Stir continuously for some minutes until the salt mixes thoroughly.
- Soak yourself in the bath for at least half an hour.
- Use this remedy for some weeks and observe changes in your sleeping patterns
Chamomile is both a sleep inducer and a tranquilizer. This means that a cup or two of chamomile tea will help your body relax. Here is how to make you chamomile tea:
- Add two spoons of chamomile tea in a bowl of hot water
- Steer for about three to four minutes.
- Strain the mixture and add a tablespoon of honey. Alternatively, you may also add a pinch of cinnamon powder
- Drink the mixture while it is still warm, just an hour before going to bed.
- Use this remedy for at least a week to see positive results.
3. Warm milk
A glass of warm milk goes a long way as far as helping you have a great night goes. Milk contains calcium, which helps regulate melatonin production. Also, calcium helps reduce stress on the muscles and the mind. Here is how to prepare your milk:
- Mix one-quarter spoon of cinnamon powder and honey to a glass of water
- Drink at least 30 minutes earlier before going to bed.
4. Lavender oil
Lavender oil has a strong aromatic scent with a calming effect to help you sleep much better than before. A few researches have shown that lavender oil increases the overall time one sleeps and also increases the quality of the sleep. Here is what to do:
- Put one drop of lavender oil in a piece of cloth and place it in the nearest pillow on your bed.
- Alternatively, you can add some drops of lavender oil to your bathtub filled with warm water. Always soak in the water for about 2minutes an hour before you head to bed.
- Also, you can mix a tablespoon of lavender oil in a tablespoon of olive oil and rub to the bottom of your feet before going to bed.
Valerian has been in use for some decades now. It is well known for its muscle-relaxing properties that promote relaxing and deep long sleep. Here is how to prepare this remedy:
- Mix a tablespoon of dried valerian root in a cup of hot water and cover for about 10 minutes.
- Strain and add honey of preferred amount and drink it warm.
- Repeat this couple of times before going to bed to improve your sleep and increase its quality. It is, however, important to note that this remedy is not recommended for use on a regular basis.
7. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is full of amino acid which helps in relieving you of your fatigue. Additionally, vinegar helps you break down fatty acids in the body that release tryptophan that is essential for induce sleep. Adding a spoonful of honey to the mixture increases serotonin levels in the body thus well-regulated sleep and wake up cycles.
Here is how to prepare the honey and vinegar drink:
- Mix apple cider vinegar and honey in warm water
- Drink the mixture repeatedly before going to bed
- Repeat this exercise often to induce a good night sleep
8. Cumin seeds
Cumin seeds contain a high amount of tranquilizers that help reduce or deplete sleeplessness. Here is how to prepare cumin to help induce sleep much faster:
Cumin and banana
- Mash a ripe banana
- Add cumin powder to the mashed banana
- Eat this mixture 30 minutes before going to bed
- For best results try this regularly.
Yes, you can also have cumin tea by doing this:
- Heat cumin seeds for about 10 seconds
- Add a cup of water and let it boil for sometimes
- Allow it to steep for a while after turning off the heat
- Drink this tea each time before going to bed
Cumin tea helps relieve fatigue and increases your chances of having a good sleep.
9. Almond oil
Besides the fact that almond oil is nourishing, it is also a good tonner. Its emollient properties help in soothing the body nerves. This way, helping you relax much more. Here is how to use almond oil as a natural remedy for sleeping problems:
- pour natural pure almond oil into your palms
- Massage your scalp thoroughly
- For better results do such massages regularly to relax your nerves and induce sleep.
Honey acts by relieving your tummy at night, this way you can get a good night sleep. Again, honey contains natural sugars that help maintain or raise insulin levels to allow tryptophan to enter the brain making it easier for you to sleep.
- Add about two spoons of honey into a glass of warm water
- Mix and drink this mixture after having your dinner
- Alternatively, take a teaspoon of honey before going to bed and see better results.
11. Green tea
Yes, green tea contains L-theanine categorized as an amino acid that helps fight anxiety and stress which may interfere with your sleep. Green tea helps you relax thus preparing you for a good sleep. Here is how to prepare your green tea:
- Add hot water to a cup containing green tea
- Allow it to seep for about 5 minutes
- Drink this tea after removing the tea bag.
- This exercise should frequently be done five hours before sleep
Lifestyle changes that help with sleep disorders.
Here are some of the lifestyle changes that when embraced, help combat sleeping disorders.
1. Turn off your television.
Night time light can hinder melatonin production, this way your sleeping pattern is likely to be hindered. It is recommended that you keep your television out of your bedroom, this way you can reduce the amount of lighting in the bedroom.
2. Keep your appliances away from the bedroom
Again for a better night sleep, leave your phone and any other appliances away from your bedroom. Alternatively, you can just have them turned off. Red light bedroom illumination can help you sleep better compared to the blue light.
Exercises help you sleep much better. In fact, research has shown that people who exercise at least 30 minutes a day have less trouble sleeping as compared to those that do not exercise at all. Morning exercising is excellent when it comes to the body’s overall energy output during the day.
- Keep your bedroom tranquil.
Make your bedroom look like a sanctuary. Do not allow clutter to build up in your bedroom, and it makes the room sleep-unfriendly.
5. Always wear pajamas to bed
Do not allow your bedroom to get too hot or cold; extreme temperatures could be the cause of your sleep disorders.
- Try making your room dark by installing room darkening shades. Or just wear eye covers each time to go to bed.
- Get yourself a good mattress. Also, use pillows that support your head and neck appropriately.
- Filter out noise from your living room by having your bedroom door tightly closed.
- Use breathable linen; they reduce sweat and body odor that disrupt your sleeping pattern.-
- Practice cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) which mainly focuses on management of activities and thoughts that trigger stress and depression hindering you from having a good night sleep. If you learn how to effectively carry out this exercise, chances are you will have a great night sleep.
- Always have a bedtime ritual. A bedtime ritual is one of the best tips to get rid of sleeping disorders especially insomnia. Additionally introducing nighttime habits such as reading helps induce your brain into sleeping mode much faster.
- Always stay hydrated. Drinking enough water is important for the functioning of the body. Additionally, if you drink enough water you will not wake up in the middle of the night as a result of thirsty. Even though drinking water before bed helps with your sleep, be careful not to drink more water to keep you running to the toilet in the middle of the night.
- Stress is inevitable. However, if not addressed early enough, it may be the leading cause of your sleeping problems. Always manage your stress appropriately before it gets out of hand.
- Always be prompt to get medical advice from your doctor. You need to talk to a doctor to figure out the cause of your sleeping disorders.
- Say no to nighttime alcohol. Alcohol contains caffeine and other substances that block the melatonin hormone hence disrupting your sleep pattern.
- Avoid going to bed with your pets. Studies claim that about 60 percent of people who sleep with their pets have sleep disruptions. Dogs and small kids are the biggest sources of nighttime disturbances. Because you deserve a good night sleep, keep your dogs out of your bedroom.
- Try meditation tricks to help your mind relax and calm down. A little yoga before bed could do you right.
- You may also buy a noise machine. A noise machine helps you relax by providing calming sound effects like those of the raindrops.
- Taking a hot bath helps your body fee fresh hence helping you sleep with much ease. Research shows that 90 percent of people who take a hot bath at night sleep much better than those who do not.
Because sleep is crucial to your health, you need to take it seriously. Use of home remedies goes a long way in helping you improve your sleep quality. It is never too late to turn around and have best sleep ever.