Do you wake up with back pains? Are you among those who wake up feeling exhausted with headaches? Quite a good number of people do not realize that most of these problems are associated with the wrong sleeping positions they persistently choose each night.Here are some of the best sleeping positions:
1. Fetal position
This is the most popular position preferred by most people. It is one of the healthiest ways to lay down for a good night rest. The position allows the spine to rest in its natural alignment.
- It also helps in warding off conditions like Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s disease.
- It is the most preferred position for all pregnant women. This is because it improves circulation to the growing baby as it also prevents the uterus from pressing against one’s liver.
2. Log position
In log position, one sleeps in a lateral position with both arms alongside one’s body. It is one of the most recommended sleeping positions.
Resting on one’s side with one’s back straight as in log position helps in;
- Relieving sleep apnea
- Alleviating neck pain
- Relieving back pain and prevents one from developing it.
Make this position your favorite by placing a soft pillow between the knees to ease pressure put on the hips.
3. Free fall position
In the free fall sleeping position one sleeps on their abdomen.
For this position, one has to:
- Place a pillow under the pelvis and lower abdomen. This helps in relieving pressure on the back.
- Choose to use or not use a pillow under the head
This position is important for people with degenerative disk disease as it relieves any stress placed on the space between the spinal cord disks
4. Soldier position
In this sleeping position one sleeps on his or her back with a pillow under their knees. This position is recommendable because when one sleeps on their back, weight is evenly distributed across the widest areas on one’s body. As a result of this, there is less strain on one’s pressure points. Additionally, in this position, there is better alignment of one’s spine and internal organs.
To attain the soldier position one has to:
- Lay flat on their back.
- Place a pillow underneath their knees.
5. Reclined position
In this position, one sleeps on their back in a slightly concaved angle. The reclined position has been recommended over the years for people with isthmic spondylolisthesis.
Isthmic spondylolisthesis is a condition where one of the spinal cord vertebrae slips over the one below it. When one lies in the reclined position, an angle is created between the thighs and the truck.
- The angle created helps reduce pressure on one’s spine.
Point to remember.
Alignment is essential in whatever position one chooses to sleep in. One should focus on aligning the ears, shoulder, and hips. When moving in bed, always move the whole body together, keeping your core tight and pulled in. Pull your knees towards your chest as you roll over.
SOURCES AND REFERENCES
- Best sleeping positions (October 2016)
- 5 best positions to lower back pain. ( June 2017)
- Mother’s best sleeping position in prevention of still births (June 2011)